Landowner Rights Denied By Moratorium      NY: 6 Years, 0 Months | DRBC: 5 Years, 2 Months

Author Topic: Farming and Fracking Go Together  (Read 556 times)

TShepstone

• Premium Member
Farming and Fracking Go Together
« on: October 06, 2013, 03:46:26 AM »
An on-line publication called Gourmet News recently did a story on fracking that caused Jeff Heller to offer some much needed perspective on how real farmers feel about fracking. Here is what he told the editor:

My name is Jeff Heller and I am the president of the Steuben County Landowners Coalition in New York. Neil Vitale is our vice president and I understand he has already talked to you on this. He may have told you that we have 1,700 families in the coalition who own 225,000 acres of land and are anxious to lease for gas drilling.

Most of our members are farmers. They all feel that fracking and farming are compatible. Most of them have farming friends in Pennsylvania across the border and they know how much those neighbors have benefited from drilling and fracking. And, they would know if their friends had any of those supposedly common problems alleged by some narrow-minded environmentalists. (Please try to forgive our negative attitude toward these folks – we consider ourselves conservationists but have been fighting their misleading and false statements on fracking for five years now and it has been extremely frustrating.)

Continue reading →

http://naturalgasnow.org/farming-fracking-go-together/

mcrey1

Re: Farming and Fracking Go Together
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 11:09:22 PM »
What I have to say will probably offend everyone.  :). I grew up in Oklahoma and Texas, worked the oil fields as a teenager and college student and have a deep appreciation of the oil and gas industry aside from the land leasing(grab ) wings.  We have 190 acres of farm land leased till July 2014.  We raise beef lamb and pork.  We have over 8000 feet of water line to water our livestock.  The farm is powered by 14400kw of non-china solar pv.  Solar photovoltaic production is very similar to transitor production.  We have given  many farm tours and constantly remind folks the pv arrays were paid for by our GAS Lease.  We have had many people (some anti-fracking including the Sierra club my wife the trouble maker delights in letting them know who paid ) tour the farm.  Our lease is iron clad with no force majure, Pugh clause all kinds of setbacks and land ownership rights rights.  Anyone who deals with the oil companies without a knowledgeable oil and gas lawyer is his own foolish lawyer. Having served during the Vietnam era and have a son in Afghanistan i am intensively interested in energy independence. So folks take a look at the big picture.

climber1

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 02:58:25 AM »
not offended

eupany

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 04:48:33 AM »
Mcrey is correct.  I am all for natgas development in NYS. But I have also experienced the strong arm tactics of Chesapeake. NEVER sign a lease without an o/g attorney and even then expect to have to enforce your lease terms.  I have come to understand that the O/G companies sometimes view landowners as a necessary evil standing in the way of their profits. That being said, Farms and every other landowner has (and should have in NYS) the right to plant/produce their land in crops, gas or whatever pays the bills.

Donations

We work on this project completely in our spare time. Donations help go towards ongoing costs related to keeping the site running, including hosting, bandwidth, etc. It also encourages us to commit regular updates, add features, and improve the service.

It isn't required of course, but if you find this site useful, you can donate using the PayPal button