Landowner Rights Denied By Moratorium      NY: 6 Years, 0 Months | DRBC: 5 Years, 2 Months

Author Topic: Some New Yorker's say, "Oooh...Marcellus Gas has TOO much Radon!  (Read 1340 times)

donegal

• Premium Member
Here's the latest release from Insane energy project:

http://saneenergyproject.org/radon/ee

So how "bad" is it?  Well here's just a teeny excerpt: (color mine)

"....there is no safe amount of radon, the EPA has set a measure of 4 picocuries per liter (pCi/L) as the “actionable” level inside a home. Researchers at Johns Hopkins advocate for lowering the actionable level of radon to 2pC/L, because of the high levels of background radiation in modern life. The majority of readings from recent citywide tests, organized by Sane Energy Project, showed radon levels in the gas supplied to city kitchens measuring less than .3 pCi/L. .  At the moment, our radon levels are very low, and we want to keep it that way.

And with that we have nuthin' a PROBLEM!

From the folks what brought ya' Free-range chicken, organic yogurt, wine, fruits & veggies,  now present "Reduced-Radon Natural Gas" -- only produced from shallow wells in small quantities for the truly Discerning! Some would be willin' to pay a premium for the stuff.

Naaahh....don't try knockin' some sense into their head by   bangin' 'em off a block wall....stuff's maybe got Radon in it.  Gee, maaaybe it'd be safer for us to ship Marcellus Gas to Mexico and import some Texas Gas to NYC.

Worried about high Radon levels in your NYC Apartment kitchen?  Use the microwave.........or eat out! Better yet, go bum a meal off yer neighbor.

Donegal
Captain of the Fleet's new flagship, the "Bismarck".....A Grey 2006 Chrysler 300 - OR to ya' Landlubbers - "The Butler's Bentley"  (Don't worry Sammy.  We're savin' the Exxon Valdez for ya'. Even if she's half-broke, she'll haul more 'n any Hyundai!)

shinobi

Re: Some New Yorker's say, "Oooh...Marcellus Gas has TOO much Radon!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 01:11:59 PM »
Well, Admin forbids self-promotion here.  And when DONegal posts an item regarding raDON gas, that sounds like self-promotion to me.   slaplaugh

Anyway, so now NG causes cancer?  What next!!   ???

donegal

• Premium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 02:06:15 PM »
Well, Admin forbids self-promotion here.  And when DONegal posts an item regarding raDON gas, that sounds like self-promotion to me.   slaplaugh

Anyway, so now NG causes cancer?  What next!!   ???

What's next??.....What's NEXT???  Wouldn't surprise me any if they started claimin' that Yuengling is made with frac water and outlaw it's bein' sold in NYC!! 

Come to think of it, that'd be O.K. with me....a beer glut and shrinkin' market, make for a lower price to go along with the nat gas price. Hmmmmm......maybe write that in my next gas lease....tie my royalty price basis to the price of Yuengling, instead of Henry Hub or some other gay thing like wellhead after net-back.   ::)

I was hopin' no one would notice,
DONegal
Captain of the Fleet's new flagship, the "Bismarck".....A Grey 2006 Chrysler 300 - OR to ya' Landlubbers - "The Butler's Bentley"  (Don't worry Sammy.  We're savin' the Exxon Valdez for ya'. Even if she's half-broke, she'll haul more 'n any Hyundai!)

ghrit

• Member since October 05, 2008
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 08:37:03 PM »
Do have your home checked for radon.  Geology around here has it, and your basement is apt to have detectable amount.  Ventilation is the answer, and easily accomplished with out major disruption.  My neighbor across the road ran a test, and has installed a passive vent system in his rather poorly ventilated cellar.  No problem remains.

In a perfect world, we would all have had that test done before the drill hit the dirt, and after the wells are brought in.  We didn't. 
3 leased acres in production.
There are two kinds of ships.  Submarines and targets.
www.survivalmonkey.com

mohawk70

• Premium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 11:33:00 AM »
Do have your home checked for radon.  Geology around here has it, and your basement is apt to have detectable amount.  Ventilation is the answer, and easily accomplished with out major disruption.  My neighbor across the road ran a test, and has installed a passive vent system in his rather poorly ventilated cellar.  No problem remains.

In a perfect world, we would all have had that test done before the drill hit the dirt, and after the wells are brought in.  We didn't.

check this out:

http://www.radonmine.com/

and also:

radiation hormesis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_hormesis

Underexposed: What If Radiation Is Actually Good for You? [Paperback]
Ed Hiserodt (Author)
4.3 out of 5 stars  See all reviews (7 customer reviews)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 11:36:47 AM by mohawk70 »

ezdan

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 06:51:02 AM »
In order to quiet the so-called experts on radon gas all you have to do is ask them to document one case of identifiable harm that has been caused to anyone living in a house with high levels of radon gas (high being considerably more than the EPA acceptable established level). They will be able to identify none.  The discussion will then turn to underground miners where all kinds of lung cancer has been documented.  But then what else do they breath under the ground?  How about coal dust and other gases that are emitted from the ground such as methane. In theory radon seems problematic.  In actuality, not so much.  If radon were such a big problem. then one would expect to see higher than average lung cancer rates in areas were radon gas is prevalent or where there has been identifiable exposure to radon gas in particular dwellings.  Ask the experts to document this.  They can't. 

mohawk70

• Premium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 08:13:53 AM »
In order to quiet the so-called experts on radon gas all you have to do is ask them to document one case of identifiable harm that has been caused to anyone living in a house with high levels of radon gas (high being considerably more than the EPA acceptable established level). They will be able to identify none.  The discussion will then turn to underground miners where all kinds of lung cancer has been documented.  But then what else do they breath under the ground?  How about coal dust and other gases that are emitted from the ground such as methane. In theory radon seems problematic.  In actuality, not so much.  If radon were such a big problem. then one would expect to see higher than average lung cancer rates in areas were radon gas is prevalent or where there has been identifiable exposure to radon gas in particular dwellings.  Ask the experts to document this.  They can't.

Absolutely right.

It's called hormesis ... small doses are beneficial.

When you look closely, you find that smoking is a major issue with cancer ... not radon.

donegal

• Premium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 06:13:13 AM »
 If I lived in one of them New York apartments, I'd check some of this stuff out, but I wouldn't know where to start.  What with Asbestos, Lead, Radon, pigeon droppin's, and whatever else someone says is BAD for ya'.  Almost makes me wanna' live in a tent.  Hmmm....How's canvas??

Gotta' go an' practice a lil' hormesis of my own -- would that be one Yuengling or two??
Donegal

mohawk70

• Premium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 07:58:45 AM »
If I lived in one of them New York apartments, I'd check some of this stuff out, but I wouldn't know where to start.  What with Asbestos, Lead, Radon, pigeon droppin's, and whatever else someone says is BAD for ya'.  Almost makes me wanna' live in a tent.  Hmmm....How's canvas??

Gotta' go an' practice a lil' hormesis of my own -- would that be one Yuengling or two??
Donegal

One of the, if not the, most radioactive places in New York is ... Grand Central Terminal ... from the uranium flecks in the granite.

Duck and cover, folks!

ghrit

• Member since October 05, 2008
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 02:10:40 PM »
Hmmm....How's canvas??

Donegal
Attracts wasps.
3 leased acres in production.
There are two kinds of ships.  Submarines and targets.
www.survivalmonkey.com

Donations

We work on this project completely in our spare time. Donations help go towards ongoing costs related to keeping the site running, including hosting, bandwidth, etc. It also encourages us to commit regular updates, add features, and improve the service.

It isn't required of course, but if you find this site useful, you can donate using the PayPal button