Landowner Rights Denied By Moratorium      NY: 6 Years, 4 Months | DRBC: 5 Years, 6 Months

Author Topic: Buying solar panels with your bonus money  (Read 8227 times)

black dog

Re: Buying solar panels with your bonus money
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2013, 08:45:11 AM »
Sounds like green energy and my money have  lot more in common than just the color.  >:(  Reminds me of helping pay for other folk's clunkers a few years ago. Thanks Uncle O.

Berkeley

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2013, 09:00:53 AM »
Mohawk,

Yes,  I will gladly find and use any tax incentive I can to reduce my tax burden,  reduce my utility bills and reduce carbon emmissions.  I would appreciate Mohawk if you would please pay your taxes on time to help facilitate this.  Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Hmmm....usin' tax incentives to reduce my tax burden.....Me, I jus' use bendin' the rules. Certainly can't speak for the Hawkster, but MY goal is to get to ZERO Emissions from my WALLET and  pay as little taxes as possible. Besides, I can't even afford help for myself, let alone givin' some of it to the Government so's they can skim off 20-100% for their own wages, perks, retirements & then redistribute the leave-overs helpin' others as they see fit.  Still, each to his own. Just WISH  they'd leave me alone when it comes to printin' up some "funny money", but then I don't make the rules. slaplaugh

Rootin' for Green Energy too, jus' wishin' the cost was like the resource....self-sustainin' ;)
Donegal

Why all the sudden? The US like most developed countries encourages new and old business through the tax code. You know, like the oil depletion allowance? There are a million more like it. Thats how we get innovations. The space program... Railroads, you name it.

DSWIS

• Vilified
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2013, 01:37:40 PM »
Berk, I also almost made the same comment yesterday when I seen some of the reply's.

This write up gives you some flavor of where those comparable subsidies reside.
http://www.energyandcapital.com/report/the-real-truth-about-energy-subsidies/491

I will say however, many subsidies are creditable on either side of the divide. Except for the Ethanol subsidies. My poor engines choke on & gum up to!

Now for Oil & Gas, this is the one that irks me!  :(  In my take on this one, you see many lease happy agreements that they assess similar cost already from the landowner. Then they turn around and claim it on their own books.  crazy

Intangible drilling costs. Firms engaged in the exploration and development of oil or gas properties may expense (deduct in the year paid or incurred) certain types of drilling expenditures from their taxes. These costs include wages, fuel, repairs, hauling, and supplies related to and necessary for drilling and preparing wells for the production of oil and gas. Other companies incurring similar types of costs must recover this cost over the life of the investment. The administration expects that eliminating this subsidy will produce budget savings of about $7.839 billion over 10 years.

The balance:
http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/green/news/2010/05/13/7756/eliminating-tax-subsidies-for-oil-companies/
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 01:39:21 PM by DSWIS »
Vilified

mohawk70

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2013, 01:47:52 AM »
Mohawk,

My system will have no batteries.  Not sure how you got on that rant.

I copied the term ROI and the dollars figures in my previous post from my solar proposal.

I don't think some DC/AC converters,  a meter,  and an ethernet card is exactly space age technology.  Did you say the Navy calls you to fix things or was it Nasa?  I can't remember.

Yes,  I will gladly find and use any tax incentive I can to reduce my tax burden,  reduce my utility bills and reduce carbon emmissions.  I would appreciate Mohawk if you would please pay your taxes on time to help facilitate this.  Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

So, you copied the term ROI and the dollar figures and no one checked them for accuracy.

And without batteries, when the grid goes down, then you go down as well.

And you think a 13 year payback is a good deal?

Sorry.

[Hey, how about posting some photographs of your whiz bang installation?]

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 02:10:12 AM by mohawk70 »

Berkeley

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2013, 05:39:56 AM »

[/quote]

It would be interesting to see but we would have a hard time finding them buried under the rants of old men who know they will be safely dead by the time the wisdom of his choice is obvious to all.

mohawk70

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2013, 06:30:00 AM »

It would be interesting to see but we would have a hard time finding them buried under the rants of old men who know they will be safely dead by the time the wisdom of his choice is obvious to all.
[/quote]

Advice:   don't anyone, regardless of age, attempt to hold their breath.

Gonna be a loonnnggg  wait to see any kind of payback or return on investment.

ghrit

• Member since October 05, 2008
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2013, 06:30:42 AM »
under the rants of old men who know they will be safely dead by the time the wisdom of his choice is obvious to all.
Watch it, bub.  Some of us got old by knowing how to get there without using other people's money.   slaplaugh

Now, aside the ethical question of subsidies, going solar is an expensive proposition.  One thing I have yet to see is how to wire panels into the house in a fashion that allows synchronizing with the grid absent a buffer like batteries.  I've done enough digging into the idea to determine that it ain't for me, YMMV of course.  And yes, the payback period is longer than my life expectancy.

So far as affect on property value goes, I don't see much of an increase in sales price unless the buyer is a rabid greenie, unconcerned with life cycle cost analysis.  I'd also guess that once bought and the costs of maintenance (snow removal included) and battery replacement (if used) are factored in, the buyer would become un-green in short order or go back to sustainable wood harvesting as a heat source.  (Never mind carbon emissions.  So far as I'm concerned, warm in the winter trumps.)

Backcountry, I fear the appeal of the scheme has overwritten reality for you.  Good luck.
There are two kinds of ships.  Submarines and targets.
www.survivalmonkey.com

Berkeley

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2013, 07:12:57 AM »
under the rants of old men who know they will be safely dead by the time the wisdom of his choice is obvious to all.
Watch it, bub.  Some of us got old by knowing how to get there without using other people's money.   slaplaugh

Now, aside the ethical question of subsidies, going solar is an expensive proposition.  One thing I have yet to see is how to wire panels into the house in a fashion that allows synchronizing with the grid absent a buffer like batteries.  I've done enough digging into the idea to determine that it ain't for me, YMMV of course.  And yes, the payback period is longer than my life expectancy.

So far as affect on property value goes, I don't see much of an increase in sales price unless the buyer is a rabid greenie, unconcerned with life cycle cost analysis.  I'd also guess that once bought and the costs of maintenance (snow removal included) and battery replacement (if used) are factored in, the buyer would become un-green in short order or go back to sustainable wood harvesting as a heat source.  (Never mind carbon emissions.  So far as I'm concerned, warm in the winter trumps.)

Backcountry, I fear the appeal of the scheme has overwritten reality for you.  Good luck.

Berkeley

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2013, 07:19:00 AM »
Watch it, bub.  Some of us got old by knowing how to get there without using other people's money.   

Hey kiddo, who you think you are talking to? I never had welfare, food stamps, a farm subsidy, an educational loan, a deduction for my charitable donations,  unemployment compensation ....

I did however take a mortgage deduction on my house which is the same thing. You probably wouldn't dream of
Letting other people finance your housing that way. I may be entitled to oil depletion allowance this year for my royalties. I know you would never dream of letting the public support your income in that way.  ::)

Rockdale

• Anties
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2013, 08:05:47 AM »
Under present circumstances there is a long payback period to recoup the initial investment in a solar array even if you don't count the money gotten from Federal and State subsidies.  And I think it is important to keep in mind that solar panels have been priced at an artificially low figure for these last several years.  The Chinese have been determined to dominate that industry and they've used the time tested technique of predatory pricing in order to drive other countries out of the business.  There was a lot of publicity given to the missteps at Solyndra, but it was not only inept management, but also the fact that the Chinese solar industry was going to undersell Solyndra and the rest no matter what the short term cost to themselves.  Once the Chinese have what amounts to a working monopoly in the industry, they are likely to do what every other monopolist has done in the past once they've cornered a market, which is to sharply raise prices.

wj

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2013, 11:27:33 AM »
ghrit.

you and I are old enough to remember the saying, if it looks like a duck, and especially if it quacks like a  duck, it's most likely a 47 percenter ...duck.

remember, this is the internet. it's easy to deny anything, even while promoting an agenda which requires what one is denying.

anonymity, aint it a great thing?

time for spaghetti again at gins' i'm thinkin'.

wj
CHANGE IT BACK!

ghrit

• Member since October 05, 2008
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2013, 12:07:37 PM »
ghrit.

you and I are old enough to remember the saying, if it looks like a duck, and especially if it quacks like a  duck, it's most likely a 47 percenter ...duck.
Quack.

time for spaghetti again at gins' i'm thinkin'.
I could be persuaded.

wj
There are two kinds of ships.  Submarines and targets.
www.survivalmonkey.com

Backcountry

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2013, 05:50:04 PM »
My solar panel installation will begin on Monday..  I am seriously surprised at the strong and passionate responses to my orginal post.  For me,  I wanted to do something with my bonus money that would reduce my cost of living well into retirement.  I am sure people will spend their bonus money in the way that benefits them the most.  But for me this was a good fit and I posted it because I thought it was an interesting idea. 

FYI,  I won't be posting picture,  my solar panels will be nothing that interesting to look at.

Berkeley

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2013, 06:39:59 PM »
My solar panel installation will begin on Monday..  I am seriously surprised at the strong and passionate responses to my orginal post.  For me,  I wanted to do something with my bonus money that would reduce my cost of living well into retirement.  I am sure people will spend their bonus money in the way that benefits them the most.  But for me this was a good fit and I posted it because I thought it was an interesting idea. 

FYI,  I won't be posting picture,  my solar panels will be nothing that interesting to look at.

Sounds like a good investment to me.

Some of the rants had nothing to do with your post.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 06:42:35 PM by Berkeley »

bob0usa

• smile!
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2013, 03:16:40 AM »

I for one , would be very interested in seeing and knowing more about size, set up, and how it works out for you!
I know my system is small, but it does cut off bout 20% of my elect bill!
30 acres, and unleashed,,Chemung, NY ,,Show me the real worth!
Good health and good sense are two of life's greatest blessings. Publius Syrus (c. 42 B.C.)

Donations

We work on this project completely in our spare time. Donations help go towards ongoing costs related to keeping the site running, including hosting, bandwidth, etc. It also encourages us to commit regular updates, add features, and improve the service.

It isn't required of course, but if you find this site useful, you can donate using the PayPal button