Landowner Rights Denied By Moratorium      NY: 9 Years, 4 Months | DRBC: 8 Years, 6 Months
NOTICE: Forum Posts are not to be used as a link-builder to other websites.... Please Read Before Posting.

Author Topic: The Dividing Line Between Hope and Darkness for the Southern Tier  (Read 970 times)

ghrit

• Member since October 05, 2008
Re: The Dividing Line Between Hope and Darkness for the Southern Tier
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 03:58:48 PM »
Albany will just continue to raise taxes until they are "high enough" as judged by the head lib.  Then, if the southern tier is lucky, they'll let drilling commence so they can tax that as well.
There are two kinds of ships.  Submarines and targets.
www.survivalmonkey.com

Rockdale

• Anties
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 05:30:12 PM »
I found the "distressed communities index" research paper a very worthwhile document to read.  On the level of comparison in the Marcellus shale region a startling contrast is made in the US map of communities classified by color code where formerly prosperous Broome County, NY is labeled as "at risk" and Susquehanna County to its immediate south is now rated "comfortable"  on page 37 of the report.  Something that probably would have been considered unimaginable 20 years ago.  Still in all, it would be gratifying to see that more of the shale gas region counties were in the two shades of blue and fewer were tan showing the need for improvement.  I think the Marcellus/Utica region will come into its own and reach full potential when ways are found to add value to the natural gas.  There is a major industry in sending out massive and ever growing volumes of gas as a raw material but there could be a true renaissance of the local economy when the gas is processed into a higher value product close to the wells and a lot more people at better incomes are involved in that undertaking.

ghrit

• Member since October 05, 2008
There are two kinds of ships.  Submarines and targets.
www.survivalmonkey.com

Wax

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 10:11:53 PM »
How the Hades did this get from "Darkness for the Southern Tier".

Yo Wax I don't know about you but I just opened  some invoices of investments I have and they had more growth in the past nine months than all the Eight Years BHO was in office, I guess Wall Street has a bunch of Dummies working in that building.

Just another Dummy here in the Boon Docks

firecutter
It might be a good time for you to sell.  GM was once hundred dollars before, it became worthless. But I am glad to hear you made money. Maybe . (you need to sell high and buy low).
 I am in Susquehanna County, with thousands of other property owners, who are not leased. So we are sharing the NY Darkness with those of NY. Why ? The industry will not lease land unless they , "need it now". The industry has done little, to change the tide in NY.  And I have not seen any local improvements although wells surround the town of Susquehanna. The real-estate market has not changed, and many abandoned homes near town. But without drilling it would be far worst. I can see industry fleet vehicles in masses. So small business owners have to be doing better. But it is nothing like Huston Texas, as some have foreseen. 

macal

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 03:55:10 AM »

The energy boom in NE PA has created many good jobs and also many business opportunities. Its has changed from the beginning when most of the work force came in from out of state and the rental market went off the charts and hurt some of the low income locals. Real estate and the rental market is now back to being reasonable.

Rockdale

• Anties
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2017, 06:25:11 AM »

Yo Wax I don't know about you but I just opened  some invoices of investments I have and they had more growth in the past nine months than all the Eight Years BHO was in office, I guess Wall Street has a bunch of Dummies working in that building.

firecutter
It might be a good time for you to sell.  GM was once hundred dollars before, it became worthless. But I am glad to hear you made money. Maybe . (you need to sell high and buy low).
 I am in Susquehanna County, with thousands of other property owners, who are not leased. So we are sharing the NY Darkness with those of NY. Why ? The industry will not lease land unless they , "need it now". The industry has done little, to change the tide in NY.  And I have not seen any local improvements although wells surround the town of Susquehanna. The real-estate market has not changed, and many abandoned homes near town. But without drilling it would be far worst. I can see industry fleet vehicles in masses. So small business owners have to be doing better. But it is nothing like Huston Texas, as some have foreseen.
>>>> Wax, I would expect that as long as natural gas is so low priced in northeastern Pennsylvania that there will be a continued absence of decent offers to lease additional acreage.  Everyone knows there is a lot of acreage that is likely to contain natural gas in paying quantities, but there is no urgency to develop those properties or even to lease them at this moment in time.  On the positive side numerous pipeline projects are proceeding even if a crucial project such as the Constitution remains in limbo.  In a matter of weeks Cove Point should be receiving its first natural gas as the machinery is tested out.  With Cove Point Marcellus/Utica natural gas will have found a local outlet to the world market.

Wax

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2017, 07:16:05 AM »

firecutter
>>>> Wax, I would expect that as long as natural gas is so low priced in northeastern Pennsylvania that there will be a continued absence of decent offers to lease additional acreage.  Everyone knows there is a lot of acreage that is likely to contain natural gas in paying quantities, but there is no urgency to develop those properties or even to lease them at this moment in time.  On the positive side numerous pipeline projects are proceeding even if a crucial project such as the Constitution remains in limbo.  In a matter of weeks Cove Point should be receiving its first natural gas as the machinery is tested out.  With Cove Point Marcellus/Utica natural gas will have found a local outlet to the world market.
Yes you are correct. However my point being, if you live in the same are as Bill Gate, that does not make you a billionaire. You get the idea. As a percentage, how many families are benefiting from gas development in Susquehanna County. My best guess would be 30%.
Towns like Susquehanna, still have the largest population and postage stamp lots, with no lease. As far as I know, East of the town of Susquehanna , no land is leased.
Pipeline projects provide good jobs, but a "small" one time payment to landowners. I know, pipelines are necessary to expand the gas industry, and provide better opportunities to many. I also believe NY, landowners, needs to work hard now, to abolish laws, that took away their property rights. One could only hope, a brilliant attorney, somewhere, seeing this huge injustice, would lead the charge against NY.

Rockdale

• Anties
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2017, 01:45:20 PM »
Wax, one of the best aspects of the discovery of the Marcellus/Utica shale resource was that it happened in a place where there was a widely dispersed ownership of the land.  The fact that the region is one of hills  always made it unattractive to the large scale land owners who wanted to farm on a grand scale.  And the wooded land, which is the majority of the region, also was often broken into small parcels after the timber companies made their cut since they were uninterested in holding on to land which would take decades to produce the next paying crop of timber.  All of which made it possible for a large number of people to ultimately realize a windfall which few had any idea existed.  Better times are ahead as natural gas demand grows both domestically and internationally, but for many land owners who need money right now it's a tough business to hang on, especially with ever increasing real estate taxes.

If you find this site useful, you can donate using the PayPal button