Hello Guest
Landowner Rights Denied By Moratorium      NY: 9 Years, 8 Months | DRBC: 8 Years, 10 Months

Liberal Princeton "scientists" launch fusillade against fracking

• 2 Replies

These are the usual AGW warrior suspects finding new ways to attack the NG industry and us along with it.  They call themselves "scientists".  What they really are is liberal political operatives with a strong anti-fossil fuel agenda:

I'm betting every last one of these despicable "scientists" is a Democrat who goes through life dreaming of wind turbines and solar farms.

What an unmitigated sack of crap!!!!!!!!!

• Member since October 05, 2008
Re: Liberal Princeton "scientists" launch fusillade against fracking
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 04:15:46 PM »
Yep, here's the source of the science.  Princeton turns out some pretty good engineers and scientists, but they also indulge in other stuff.
Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs
There are two kinds of ships.  Submarines and targets.

Re: Liberal Princeton "scientists" launch fusillade against fracking
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 07:26:10 AM »
I always attempt to post as honestly here as I'm able.  Liberals are such unmitigated a'holes generally it does send me over the edge at times.  So please be understanding:

After further review, I need to dial back what I wrote in the OP half a click.  In my reaction there I wrongly limited my thinking to NEPA.  That is something I always seek NOT to do, but I fell into the trap.  I remain confident our dry NG wells here in NEPA are not harming young humans, or any humans, with only one possible exception (see below).

The study, though, covered ALL of Pennsylvania, to include in particular wells in WPA, in Greene and Washington counties for example, among others.  So called "wet gas" NG wells in WPA produce more than just methane.  Those wells tap a variety of VOCs (volatile organic compounds), e.g., benzene, toluene, xylene, and other concerning substances as well.

So here it is:  My gut tells me kids living on dairy farms, for example, breathe in more methane from the cows than any kid ever encountered from a properly drilled NG well.  It's not methane that is concerning or threatening to humans, young or old.

But I do have to concede that VOCs, and other substances, coming from WPA NG wells, if not carefully contained, might threaten children.  I'm not saying it is happening.  I'm just allowing that it could happen.  For all the years that drilling has been ongoing, I have been grateful to be living where I do, in Bradford County, which is dry NG territory.  I respect the danger VOCs can pose.

Now as for NEPA dangers from NG drilling, to kids and everyone, I see very few.  Here is what I think:

I do not support use of produced water for dust control on rural dirt roads.  This seems to me simply stupid.  Anything of concern in the water is imparted directly to the road.  Then later when cars and trucks use the road in dry weather, the dust which is raised up can travel into homes alongside the road.  Similarly, anyone working or (for kids) playing outdoors is exposed to that same (possibly) contaminated dust.  To be clear, I'm not saying produced water is necessarily contaminated.  It's gonna vary, at worst, well to well. But why run this risk?

Other than that I'm not seeing much chance for NEPA NG wells to harm anyone.