Hello Guest
Landowner Rights Denied By Moratorium      NY: 9 Years, 9 Months | DRBC: 9 Years, 0 Months
YOUR SUPPORT KEEPS US OPEN       
       More Information

Libertarian group eyes eminent domain reform

• 5 Replies

claude

Libertarian group eyes eminent domain reform
« on: February 14, 2018, 12:13:57 PM »
https://www.eenews.net/energywire/2018/02/14/stories/1060073801

Quotes from article by Ellen M. Gilmer, E&E News reporter Published Wednesday, February 14, 2018

“A libertarian think tank is looking to Congress for stronger protections for landowners in the path of natural gas pipelines.”

“The Niskanen Center is launching a lobbying campaign on Capitol Hill to push amendments to the Natural Gas Act that would tweak the way eminent domain is used for interstate gas pipelines, among other changes.”

"We're going to aim to get a nonpartisan group together to say, 'We've got some problems here. How do we protect or enhance the protection for property owners without adversely affecting the permitting for energy infrastructure?'" Niskanen chief counsel David Bookbinder told E&E News. "We think it's possible."

This is a good development, however, there is no mention in the article about how this is also a huge issue with respect to underground natural gas storage. I hope the Niskanen Center is aware that this is not only a pipeline issue. The issue of eminent domain and underground natural gas storage is HUGE! Thousands of landowners across 31 states have had their private property stolen by the Federal government, FERC, state governments. courts, and gas and pipeline companies for underground natural gas storage with ZERO or minimal compensation to landowners. Private landowners are the rightful owners of the extremely rare and valuable 415 underground caverns used for underground storage. STOLEN for corporate gain!!!
The Federal Government, MS state government, FERC, Courts, and gas and pipeline companies have stolen my underground caverns.

donegal

Re: Libertarian group eyes eminent domain reform
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 01:45:06 PM »
https://www.eenews.net/energywire/2018/02/14/stories/1060073801

"... private property stolen by the Federal government, FERC, state governments. courts, and gas and pipeline companies...."

Amen brother (or sister)!

You are correct & unless a person has been on the receivin' end, they may never know just how one-sided, unfair & inadequate the conversation, consideration, &  compensation can be with Eminent Domain situations, (much to my consternation).  I am NOT necessarily against public or even private projects utilizin' some/all of my property.  No, it's the compensation that is  often woefully inadequate, sometimes even insultingly so.  Actually "stealin' " is, many times, quite an accurate descriptor.  Currently, what's yer recourse?  Weeeell, maybe the courts, but do NOT even think about attemptin' that without havin' GOOD legal counsel, unless ya' like losin' .....time, money & the judgement.

When dealin' with Eminent Domain, fightin' for your own interests can be about as effective as tryin' to stop a runaway steamroller by  jumpin' in front of it.   

and that's the flat-out truth  ::)
Donegal 

p.s. Been there on roads, water lines, power lines, & gas lines.   In fact, got one in litigation right now, been there for years.  At this rate, PennDOT will be REpavin' the road before I ever even get my day in court.  ;)
We finally scuttled the Exxon Valdez (for the second time in her life), and turned in at the boatyard the ol'  gray Bismarck before she sank too..  Now I'm Captain of the most beautifulest boat ever, the "HMS HOOD", a 2012 stealth black AWD V-8 Chrysler 300.

aubrey

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 02:54:52 PM »
every coupla years, first energy comes by, trying to get me to sign documents to allow them to remove trees along the power line r.o.w..

the documents always have other stuff in them too, such as allowing them to spray. I never sign.

the last time they were here, they said that they wanted to remove trees outside of the r.o.w. that might pose a danger. I said no, and they cut them down anyway, and followed up by spraying, even though they have no agreement to allow it. of course, the spraying killed more trees outside of the r.o.w., which will have to be cut down also.

the biggest problem for me is, they leave the trees where they fall, and the area is not very accessible, except on foot. what a mess.

their attitude? sue us, we're gonna cut what we want.

wj
CHANGE IT BACK!

donegal

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 04:42:47 PM »
every coupla years, first energy comes by, trying to get me to sign documents to allow them to remove trees along the power line r.o.w..

the documents always have other stuff in them too, such as allowing them to spray. I never sign.

the last time they were here, they said that they wanted to remove trees outside of the r.o.w. that might pose a danger. I said no, and they cut them down anyway, and followed up by spraying, even though they have no agreement to allow it. of course, the spraying killed more trees outside of the r.o.w., which will have to be cut down also.

the biggest problem for me is, they leave the trees where they fall, and the area is not very accessible, except on foot. what a mess.

their attitude? sue us, we're gonna cut what we want.

wj

Yeah, gotta' love them power companies.  They come & say we'd like to do this or that, askin' for a sign-off.  When ya' say, "No, let's maybe do it another way."  THAT'S when ya' realize that they wasn't seekin' permission, they was just informin'.  My last run-in was over a line being relocated due to poles gettin' upgraded. I got nowhere with pole locations. Best I could do was get them to LEAVE  the old poles and NOT cut them in half. 

Donegal

p.s. Reminds me of one time when I got a phone call from a friend who said, "Whatcha' got goin' on at the farm, gettin' a gas well pad?" (I was livin' 150 miles away) I said, "In a few months a pipeline goin' in, but right now Nuthin', why??" He said, "Well, it's a whole lot of equipment doin' an awful  lot of diggin', fer nuthin'."  Turned out the pipeline construction company did it all without tellin' anyone-- moved in, fences down, pushin' dirt, diggin' ditch,  ALL that in spite of a written ROW Agreement requirin' them to give us 2 weeks notice before  even settin' foot on the place.  :(  Huh?  No, I didn't get mad, just got even.  Got payment for impairment of farming operation. AND, as the project progressed I had the Pipeline Company Inspector (yes, believe it or not, I actually made a friend)  inform me of any further transgressions, such as unauthorized creation  of additional Temporary Work Space areas - for material staging, and for HDD worksites for example.  Glad I had penalty for certain infractions spelled out in the ROW Addenda.  WJ you'd be right if ya' was to say, "Even all that don't prevent them from misbehavin'."   No, but it  puts a lil' salve on my wounds.  ;D   

It's a dang shame but gettin' the Utility Company to pay for yer trees is 'bout like tryin' to get Duff to pay for yer' missin' hard cider.....says it's all due to "Evaporation" &  an unexplainable phenomenon he calls "Line loss". Come to think of it................does Duff have a chainsaw?? ;) slaplaugh
We finally scuttled the Exxon Valdez (for the second time in her life), and turned in at the boatyard the ol'  gray Bismarck before she sank too..  Now I'm Captain of the most beautifulest boat ever, the "HMS HOOD", a 2012 stealth black AWD V-8 Chrysler 300.

Wax

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 06:05:13 PM »
Don, would be far better if you had the Laser Lease. ;) Pretty much has everything covered. Had three pipeline companies approach me. None ever heard of the Laser Pipeline.  crazy

donegal

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 12:56:08 PM »
Don, would be far better if you had the Laser Lease. ;) Pretty much has everything covered. Had three pipeline companies approach me. None ever heard of the Laser Pipeline.  crazy

Hi Wax,
Too bad them Landmen claim to never hearin' of Laser.  Either they is too new in the business to remember OR they somehow "forgot" about it.  Either way here's a nice, concise summary on how the name change came to be, with the Laser name bein' lost.

Thanks to Marcellus Drilling News (MDN) for publishing this article.

https://marcellusdrilling.com/2013/12/williams-files-to-expand-marcellus-pipeline-in-broome-county-ny/

A few excerpts: (color, bold mine)

"

... the newly completed Laser Northeast Gathering pipeline, a 33-mile pipeline stretching from Susquehanna County, PA across the border into Broome County, NY where it connects to the Millennium Pipeline, was sold by Delphi Midstream Partners to Williams Partners (see Laser Northeast Pipeline Selling to Williams for $750M). There is “new news” to share about the formerly named Laser, now named the “New York Mainline,”

... Williams filed a request to expand the Laser/NY Mainline by adding an additional 16? pipeline loop–right here in the good old Town of Windsor, NY. The new pipeline loop will expand the capacity of Marcellus Shale gas flowing out of northeast PA and into the Millennium pipeline.

... these entities are the current owners of a now-already-installed 16? PA-to-Windsor, NY natural gas pipeline which originally went by the tagline “Laser,” but is now apparently called the “New York Mainline.”

The new, proposed work they’re calling the “New York Mainline Loop.”

The paperwork shows the pipeline developers have contracted with Northeast PA drillers that have so much shale gas they want to get to the Northeastern U.S. market, there’s a plan to put in a second, parallel, 16? pipeline...

The whole article is worth a read.  I doubt that the terms of the Laser Landowner Pipeline  ROW Agreement  are taught in Landman school.  No, it's history which the  Landmen & the pipeline companies would all like to  forget  ever happened.  So do your next landman a favor --print off a copy of the Laser ROW Agreement recorded in Broome County New York .   If ya' never wanna' see him again, jus' give it to him/her & say, "Read this cause next time ya' come by, that'll be the startin' point."  ;D slaplaugh

Funny, how them Landfellers have "never heard" of anything that involves any more than THEIR offer. Maybe they need to get out more. ;)

Donegal