Hello Guest
Landowner Rights Denied By Moratorium      NY: 10 Years, 6 Months | DRBC: 9 Years, 8 Months
YOUR SUPPORT KEEPS US OPEN       
       More Information

One Dead, One Injured in Crash With Fracking Truck - Lawsville Center Susq Cty

• 14 Replies

Susq LandOwner

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43952031/ns/local_news-wilkes_barre_pa/

Here's the ugly of the good, the bad, the ugly of the Marcellus Shale gold rush...

Lawsville Center, Susquehanna County- One person is dead and another in the hospital after a truck hauling materials for natural gas drilling was involved in a crash in Susquehanna County."We saw the accident. He didn't even stop. He just ran over that car. It was horrible," said Lisa Ryan of Lawsville Center.She couldn't believe her eyes Friday night in Liberty Township, Susquehanna County. She witnessed a truck, hauling materials for a natural gas drilling site, flip onto a car around seven o'clock."It's just horrible, just horrible what happened. I was hugging that girl that was in that accident, I had blood all over me," said Ryan.State police say the truck came down State Route 29 and tipped onto this Subaru sedan, killing the driver inside and injuring a passenger. A horrific sight to see for some.   "I don't know if I want to talk about it. It was just really bad," said Brenton Warner of Lawsville Center."It was just coming down too fast and he wasn't paying attention. He wrecked the car really bad."The driver of the truck was not harmed.  The State Department of Environmental Protection came to the scene because there was a chemical lubricant in the truck, but our crew was told it was not hazardous.People who live in the area say they knew a tragedy like this was coming."It was bound to happen sooner or later. Up and down this road 24/7," said one woman who lives in the area. She did not want to be identified.The truck is owned by Southeast Directional Drilling out of Arizona, one of many businesses taking advantage of the booming Marcellus Shale industry in this part of the country. But this latest accident has people questioning the big business once again."This is why we don't sign. They're calling us all the time. People are dead because of this. I won't put my children, I have teenagers. They are not getting a license. Not with these water trucks running around," said Ryan.The CEO of Southeast Directional Drilling Company, Steve Ugrich responded to the accident. "It is with great sorrow and regret that one of our trucks was involved in a traffic accident on a public highway last night. At this time we are currently conducting a full investigation regarding the accident that took place. Our deepest sympathy and prayers go out to this family and all who were involved in the accident," he said in a statement.Police are still investigating and say they will release more information as it becomes available.

Buddy Ebsen

While tragic ... this is not necessarily a Gas issue.  The only connection is that it was a truck hauling materials for drilling.  Truck safety should be a priority for any industry.  Many have lost thier lives because of trucking accidents. 

I lost a friend just a few months ago, when his car was made into an accordian between two trucks, because the truck behind him was unable to stop at a red light.

I lost a relative when a fuel tanker overturned and exploded on a highway taking out anyone within a 500' radius.

It is a shame that some will point to this and say "See ... this is a problem with gas drilling!"

mohawk70

I hate it when I look in the rear view mirror and all I can see is the bumper of an 18-wheeler.  Almost got it that time!   It was on Route 100.   BUT, it was a milk tanker truck.   And it was in the 1980's.

Not a drilling support vehicle.

Everyone needs to be a little extra careful.

And if you see you're between two 18-wheelers, pull off [defensively] at the first opportunity and let them pass.

Please remember:  The planet Earth is a VOLCANO.   You cannot "save" a volcano ... and volcanoes do not NEED to be saved.

Henryg

What about out in farm country where the only rig that used to be out and about was the milk truck. My family has been run off the road several times by tankers. Believe me letters and phone calls have been sent with nothing but appologies and promises to slow the trucks down....Right

Steve-O

What about those signs on the back of commercial vehicles that read "How's my driving?" with a toll free number? 

Buddy Ebsen

No excuse for careless driving ... both for Truckers as well as Passenger vehicles.

leasenotwantnot

While tragic ... this is not necessarily a Gas issue?????????????? how do you figure??? Really???

http://www.unitedfireco.com/2011/Incident/07-29-11mvc.htm

OMG! if it were your family????? That was really ignorant! 

Buddy Ebsen

Your the one being ignorant...How is a traffic death by a truck carrying gas materials any more tragic than a death from a truck carrying dry goods for a supermarket ... or more commonly a simple drunk driver?   The fact that the truck was carrying gas materials has no bearing on the tragedy of this death. 

leasenotwantnot

oo hummm... a royalty check for you????? get a grip!  Country- wide Moratorium now

virtuallyme

in your dreams

leasenotwantnot

really? wait! you will see!  get back in the welfare line...did someone say "FREE goverment Cheese?"

ghrit

• Member since October 05, 2008
really? wait! you will see!  get back in the welfare line...did someone say "FREE goverment Cheese?"
Typical OBBY tactic.  Divert the topic and whine.

(Hey, Ron, we need a whiny pee pants icon.)
There are two kinds of ships.  Submarines and targets.
www.survivalmonkey.com

virtuallyme

Buddy Ebsen

Sorry Hump...but you no longer get the "Giddy Troll" award.

Congratulations LNWN!

Oh my god! Thatís scary. It would have been devastating for entire family. I have never liked idea of clubbing drinking and driving together. Although, I have a good DUI attorney Los Angeles in my contacts, still try not to make a mistake like this.