Hello Guest
Landowner Rights Denied By Moratorium      NY: 11 Years, 4 Months | DRBC: 10 Years, 6 Months
YOUR SUPPORT KEEPS US OPEN       
       More Information

Southwestern Well Drilling

• 7 Replies
Southwestern Well Drilling
« on: November 26, 2019, 10:42:26 AM »
Yesterday I received a certified letter from Southwestern. The letter said that they are planning to drill wells in New Milford, Jackson, Great Bend, Oakland, Thompson, Harford, and Franklin Townships. The letter included a questionnaire to landowners whose property falls within 1,000 foot radius of a proposed well, and it also included a map of the proposed well locations.
I was wondering if anyone else received this letter and if anyone has any other insights about this.

macal

Re: Southwestern Well Drilling
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 08:03:58 PM »

Usually it has to do with taking water samples before drilling begins. Not sure if its law or just a precaution the drillers take. Are you close to one of the proposed well pads.

ghrit

• Member since October 05, 2008
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 08:38:03 PM »
Dunno if it is related to law or just good practice.  Seems like Dimock taught some lessons.  That said, notices will forestall any later fussing and stewing about not knowing what's going on.  There is very often, if not usually, some blasting needed for site prep.
Taken together, sending back the questionnaire proves receipt of notice.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 08:40:10 PM by ghrit »
There are two kinds of ships.  Submarines and targets.
www.survivalmonkey.com

macal

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 08:48:41 AM »

Looks like Southwestern doesn't plan on slowing down much in NE PA. They have to be losing money hand over fist in this price environment.

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 09:33:42 AM »
The questionnaire they sent was PA DEP FORM 8000-FM-OOGM0148U Area of Review Landowner Survey. Southwestern said that they are legally required to send the form, but the landowner is not legally required to submit it. The questionnaire just asks if you are aware of any orphaned or abandoned wells in your area. According to the map they sent, they have very ambitious plans for drilling. Lot of drilling in New Milford and Jackson Townships. I have property in Thompson that looks like it falls in or near one of the proposed drilling units. But I'm not currently in a lease with any of the operators.

macal

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 06:40:53 PM »

Thanks Cracky. Good luck with your gas. Not a good time to sell.

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 09:59:46 AM »
Crackyjack if you have a water well anywhere near the proposed wells, they likely will take water samples to test your water if your well is within the 1000' radius mentioned.  They may go out further - years ago here in SE Bradford I believe CHK was testing water wells a bit further out than that from proposed pad locations.  If you do have a water well somewhat near a proposed pad, I would strongly suggest spending some money and hiring your own testing firm to run comprehensive analysis of your water before SWN begins any operations.  Hurts to spend the money, especially when the gasco may be running similar tests at no charge, but it's good peace of mind to have.  You know the old expression, 'trust but verify.'

ghrit

• Member since October 05, 2008
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 03:02:54 PM »
Crackyjack if you have a water well anywhere near the proposed wells, they likely will take water samples to test your water if your well is within the 1000' radius mentioned.  They may go out further - years ago here in SE Bradford I believe CHK was testing water wells a bit further out than that from proposed pad locations.  If you do have a water well somewhat near a proposed pad, I would strongly suggest spending some money and hiring your own testing firm to run comprehensive analysis of your water before SWN begins any operations.  Hurts to spend the money, especially when the gasco may be running similar tests at no charge, but it's good peace of mind to have.  You know the old expression, 'trust but verify.'
Full agreement with testing.  They will give you copies of their test results.  But you need to know what they are testing for, they may not align with what you need/want to know.  Also, bear in mind that the outfit that pays for the testing is not obligated to share the results, at least not all of them, and how will you know?  You might be well advised to arrange for a test to be run in parallel with the company's test.
You might also inquire about running a repeat set of tests AFTER the wells are in drilled, fracked etc., and ready for cutting in.
FWIW, SWN has been on the up and up with me.  Both sets of tests were in agreement.
There are two kinds of ships.  Submarines and targets.
www.survivalmonkey.com