Hello Guest
Landowner Rights Denied By Moratorium      NY: 11 Years, 3 Months | DRBC: 10 Years, 6 Months
YOUR SUPPORT KEEPS US OPEN       
       More Information

Sandal's Journal

• 114 Replies

gassyguy

Re: Sandal's Journal
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 12:54:44 PM »
he probably referring to the frac picture with all the hoses (refinery look) some newbies think this is like drilling a big water well. Nice final picture! Great job.

schreidl

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 05:21:18 PM »
schreidl---by the way...

I have no idea what you mean by "scary" when you refer to the photos.  You sound like someone who is planted in here to spread misinformation about gas drilling.

If you can find something truly scary about the site, I would like to know specifically what it is.  The place looks wonderful and honestly, I have not seen a site YET that wasn't put into good order after being drilled.

rf,
Please make no mistake.  I believe this is a wonderfully informative post.  I'm a newby and this process is scary when you don't know how  it works. I did not know that the process was so involved. Gassyguy was right, the "refinery look" and the flairing were things I never expected.  If it benefits the landowner, thats great.  It definately will benefit the economy up here, and hey, I stand to benefit too.   I'm relieved to hear that the gas companies are so diligent in cleaning up the site.  I guess that's what I may have been fishing for, assurances.  When I received my first lease, that was my biggest fear, that my land would be rendered useless for me and my family.  I am not a plant.  I'm uneducated when it comes to gas drilling and I was only expressing an opinion.  Some reassurances to we newcomers would be nice.  It's good to hear from people who feel that no lasting damage would be done. That makes me feel better and in time I will research the outcomes of the well areas to assure myself further.  As I said before, I'm in the learning stage, and what we do not know, we fear.  I'm willing to be educated by those who know.  Thank you.

admin

• RBSdot Web Development & Consulting
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 05:56:48 PM »
The scope of Natural Gas production is something that I was blown away about when I first realized the size of the operations.

I got my first taste via a photo of a 5 acre well pad and thought; "Man....  this is a whole lot bigger than I had ever expected.  I was actually shaken a little by the intimidating array of equipment used during the process.

Then the scary stories started coming in about fish kills and animals dying in SW Pa and I began doing more due diligence.  I spoke directly with the investigators of a few of these storied examples, and came to find out that about 98% of the claims are totally undocumentable.  Yes, there have been some mishaps, such as the migration of methane in the Dimock area, but when landowners are informed and aware of the processes taking place, they are able to better protect their property and water, and be better stewards over the use of their land.

Rest be assured, if we are contacted by landowners who have had negative experiences with land and water resources being damaged by drilling operations....  And are willing to provide the documentation to support those claims, I will jump at the opportunity to journal those experiences as well.

Our goal on this website is to provide accurate and verifyable information so we can all be the best stewards possible, of the land we have been entrusted with in our lifetime.
"I gave my kid a new credit card after he maxed out his last one.  He maxed the new one too and it appears that I am dumb enough to give him another one."  Too late now to stop.  The debt is too big.

gassyguy

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 06:07:34 PM »
  When I received my first lease, that was my biggest fear, that my land would be rendered useless for me and my family.  I am not a plant.  I'm uneducated when it comes to gas drilling and I was only expressing an opinion. 

don't take that jab personally, some on this site see landmen hiding in the weeds  8)

rfscala

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 06:17:39 PM »
schreidl,

I didn't mean to jump on you like that. These days a "newbie" status doesn't mean much in many cases, but I will have to pay more attention.  I just figured we have all seen drilling in the process by now, but I guess I was totally wrong about that.

Sorry, and welcome to the board. (by the way, I am more suspicious of closet NIMBYs than landmen!)

schreidl

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 07:13:23 PM »
Thank you gentlemen.  Any info I can get at this point is appreciated.  I guess you've seen it all on this forum and I'm a bit green, so I should maybe think about what I post a bit more carefuly.  I'm afraid of doing something that may not be good at some later time for all, not just me. I have neighbors I don't want to piss off.
  I apprieciate all the work that must have been put forth by Sandal through this process and I'm glad an honest opinion was placed on the board.   That's why we come to this site.  Oh, and by the way gassy, I'm a she, not a he.    ;D  Thanks again!

duffy

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 08:22:32 PM »
Thanks so much Sandel, it gives the uninformed a better view of the goings on. schreidl welcome, newbies like yourself that have questions need to ask, most on here will be glad to help with what they know. Remember there are no dumb questions, just sometimes the answers are not quite what they seem, that's why the pm feature is available ;D

VArunner

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 10:40:03 PM »
Admin and Mr & Mrs Sandal,
Again, thank you so much ! How exciting for you guys. I hope all works out for you guys and all of us better than we could ever have imagined. I do have a question. Has Cabot declared a production unit for your wells that includes you and your neighbors? I've noticed that some other companies have started declaring 500+ and 600+ units around their wells whether they be vertical or horizontal. If so what is the size of your unit and is it consistant with other units that you might know of in your area.
Thanks again and,
Good Luck

sandal

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 10:58:52 PM »
Thanks everyone for all your kind remarks.

When I first started watching the forum, someone commented that there was very little input from those with active wells because they were too busy driving their BMW's to the airport to take their personal jet on some exotic vacation! I determined at that point that if things worked out well for us that I would try to give something back. I hope I have succeeded.

To answer your question, the unit sizes are 132 and 107 acres(typical for the Cabot leases), but since our acreage is so small, most of the royalties go to our neighbors, something that brings me great satisfaction. Especially since several are hard working farmers who are just now enjoying the benefits of the land they worked so hard for so many years.

May each of your leasing experiences be good ones.

sandal

Buddy Ebsen

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 01:44:27 AM »
...personal jet ... exotic vacation!

So where you going?  ;)

crustyny

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2009, 04:46:06 AM »
Scandal - 1032 BTU gas is VG. It is pipeline ready.

Re pressure I read it from the photo.

For those asking, there is no oil.

%RO is~2.5 way out of the oil window.

Important - track the decline rate from your royalty stub and post it.

At 6 mo if it is down just 40-45% that is good.

Crust

sandal

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2009, 09:01:02 AM »
%RO is~2.5 way out of the oil window.

Thanks, I didn't think there was any oil, but what did you mean by this statement?

Since there is really no history on the Marcellus decline rates(at least I haven't read of any), I've been carefully tracking the decline of mine. From what I have seen charted for the Barnett Shale wells, those are declining 60-65% in the first year. I'll let you know.

VArunner

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2009, 10:18:30 AM »
sandal,

Forgive me for all the questions! I've been trying to educate myself about production units. It was interesting to find out that Cabot was declaring units apparently around just the drainage area for your specific wells. This was my original thinking ,until the companies around us started declaring units that would take 6 or 7 wells to develop. Do you expect your production unit to change as other wells may be drilled around you? Are you or do you think that your land may get included in one of your neighbors well units? With the closeness of some of the wells in our area the units will obviously overlap. Is your gas that is being marketed metered at your site and are you able to see the meter if it is ,or do you have to rely on the integrity of the gas company? How gracious it is of you to share with us little people! If your reply comes in 2 weeks after returning from vacation in Bora Bora, I'll understand.

VArunner

bellbucci

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2009, 12:00:48 PM »
... I've been carefully tracking the decline of mine. From what I have seen charted for the Barnett Shale wells, those are declining 60-65% in the first year. I'll let you know.
This is what we're all patiently (and anxiously) waiting on.

sandal

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2009, 12:46:34 PM »
Cabot was declaring units apparently around just the drainage area for your specific wells.

It is my understanding that Cabot has set up all their units sizes and spacing based on what is drained by each particular well. Our property's acreage is split between the two wells.

Do you expect your production unit to change as other wells may be drilled around you? Are you or do you think that your land may get included in one of your neighbors well units? With the closeness of some of the wells in our area the units will obviously overlap.

No, the unit size and shape should not change with future production in the area, the future unit sizes will abut the next unit boundary. I know this to be the case since we had a tiny sliver of land in another unit, which had to removed to accomodate the drainage of ours. They cannot overlap, you cannot pay royalties on the same gas to two different landowners.

Is your gas that is being marketed metered at your site and are you able to see the meter if it is ,or do you have to rely on the integrity of the gas company?

There is a meter box at the wellhead, with a solar panel and transmitter, however I have only been able to look over the shoulder of the well-tender to see the production numbers, otherwise it is locked. Cabot is a publicly traded company, with annual audits, I don't have any reason to believe they are cheating me.