Landowner Rights Denied By Moratorium      NY: 9 Years, 3 Months | DRBC: 8 Years, 6 Months
NOTICE: Forum Posts are not to be used as a link-builder to other websites.... Please Read Before Posting.

Author Topic: Some history from the Barnett Shale on Horizontal spacing  (Read 6585 times)

mr_z

Some history from the Barnett Shale on Horizontal spacing
« on: June 13, 2008, 08:13:41 AM »
I have come across some good information.  Granted, arguably the Barnett Shale offers different challenges, however much of what we know from history can be applied safely to the future.

http://www.tudorpickering.com/pdfs/TheBarnettShaleReport.pdf

Scroll down to page 26, the topic on Horizontal wells.

As an aside, it is interesting to note the average decline curves.  Albeit much better than verticals on average, I was enlightened. Roughly goes down by 1/2 in the first year.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 08:21:39 AM by mr_z »

NC-PA

Re: Some history from the Barnett Shale on Horizontal spacing
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 08:30:52 PM »
Very interesting. Much more drastic decline rates than expected, but median and mean production numbers are good. Wonder how the Marcellus will compare.

mr_z

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 05:48:55 AM »
What shocked me was the spacing.  I have been reading some companies are doing 20 acre spacing on their horizontals there.  Much of them fall between 60 and 40, or so from the presentations and websites I have been reading seem to indicate.

NC-PA

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 06:31:50 AM »
Yeah the spacing was certainly surprising, although it resulted in a higher rate, it didn't necessarily mean double the production, but still, the tighter the spacing, the more area they can thoroughly cover. Imagine if they space the horizontals in this play like that. Almost anyone with an average chunk of land could stand the chance to have a well drilled on it.

If you find this site useful, you can donate using the PayPal button